Originally constructed in 1911 as a private residence for Sir Henry Mill Pellatt, a prominent financier, Casa Loma (located at 1 Austin Terrace) now stands as a historical museum, attracting numerous tourists and serving as a popular location in Toronto.
This hilltop castle in Toronto is recognized as a cherished historical symbol. Casa Loma provides the opportunity to discover intricately adorned rooms across three levels, such as the Conservatory with its Italian marble flooring and Ontario marble side panels. Visitors can explore permanent and temporary exhibitions showcasing the early history of Canada.
Additionally, the castle is a sought-after venue for private events and serves as a picturesque setting for filming and photography. Within the premises, there is even a steakhouse that offers the finest beef sourced globally. While the tour of Casa Loma is self-directed, multimedia audio guides are at your disposal.
Casa Loma is a captivating castle located in Toronto, Canada. It stands as a testament to grandeur and architectural splendor. The castle, boasting 98 rooms, showcases a blend of European-inspired design and luxurious features.
Visitors to Casa Loma can explore the opulent rooms, including the grand hall, library with its extensive book collection, and elegant suites. Climbing up the gothic towers offers breathtaking views of the Toronto skyline.
The castle also houses several intriguing exhibits. The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum on the third floor showcases the history of Canada’s oldest infantry regiment. The Dark Side Tunnel Exhibit takes guests on a journey through Toronto’s tumultuous past, featuring photographs depicting significant events.
Casa Loma’s grounds encompass five acres of beautifully manicured gardens, providing a serene and picturesque setting. From seasonal flora to rare orchids and chrysanthemums in the potting shed, the botanical wonders enchant garden enthusiasts.
Beyond its historical significance, Casa Loma has had an exciting past. It served as a hotel and nightclub during the Prohibition era, attracting wealthy Americans seeking legal alcohol consumption. Additionally, it has been a favored filming location, appearing in various movies and TV shows.
To satisfy culinary cravings, Casa Loma offers a range of dining options. Whether it’s a quick snack at Liberty Caffé, an exquisite steak at BlueBlood Steakhouse, or a Mediterranean-inspired feast at Don Alfonso 1890 Toronto, there’s something to please every palate.
A visit to Casa Loma is an immersive experience, transporting visitors to a bygone era of elegance and luxury. With its rich history, captivating exhibits, stunning architecture, and scenic surroundings, Casa Loma truly is a must-see destination for locals and tourists alike.
Casa Loma offers a wide array of attractions and experiences, making it a unique destination in Canada. Here are some of the highlights:
1. Exhibits: Explore various exhibits within Casa Loma, including the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum on the third floor. This museum showcases artifacts and archives related to the country’s oldest continuously-serving infantry regiment.
2. Dark Side Tunnel Exhibit: Venture through an 800-foot tunnel underneath Casa Loma, connecting the main house to the stables. This intriguing exhibit features archival photographs depicting Toronto’s “dark” years during the Prohibition, the Depression, the Plague, the Great Toronto Fire, and even the city’s first plane crash.
3. Antique Car Display: Transport yourself back to the Roaring 20s by visiting the antique car display in the carriage room. Admire a collection of stunning vintage cars from the early 1900s, including notable vehicles such as the pristinely preserved 1910 Maxwell Model Q Standard, a 1924-1925 Ford Model T Touring, a 1922 Ford Model T Woody, and a 1929 Ford Model A.
4. Group of Seven Artwork: Art enthusiasts will appreciate the third-floor gallery showcasing artwork by Canada’s renowned Group of Seven. This collection features masterful landscape paintings that celebrate the breathtaking beauty of the Canadian landscape.
5. Hollywood Film Gallery: Discover Casa Loma’s significant role in Hollywood as a premier filming location. Located in the basement, the Hollywood Film Gallery displays an abundance of film posters, behind-the-scenes photographs, and information about the various film productions that have utilized the estate as a setting.
6. Escape Rooms: Embrace the mystery and excitement of Casa Loma’s Gothic towers, which provide an ideal backdrop for immersive escape room experiences. The Castle Loma tower hosts the Castle Loma Escape Series, where visitors can work together to solve fully interactive and theatrical mysteries.
Additionally, Casa Loma offers seasonal events such as concerts in the gardens during the summer and a transformed haunted house experience in autumn, making each visit to the castle a unique and memorable adventure.
Discovering fun facts about Casa Loma adds to the enchantment of the castle. Here are some intriguing details:
1. Room Count: Casa Loma boasts an impressive 98 rooms, including a bathroom with a revolutionary full-body shower, a groundbreaking feature during its construction.
2. European Inspiration: Owner Henry Pellatt drew inspiration from European castles and employed skilled stonemasons from Scotland, along with 400 tradesmen, to construct Casa Loma. The entire building process took three years to complete.
3. Prohibition Era: After the Pellatt family moved out, Casa Loma transformed into a hotel and nightclub, becoming a popular destination for wealthy Americans seeking legal alcohol consumption during the Prohibition era.
4. Sonar Research Facility: During World War II, Casa Loma’s stables concealed a sonar research and construction facility, contributing to the war efforts.
5. Royal Accommodations: The castle features suites designed to accommodate visiting members of the British royal family, reflecting its regal allure.
6. Royal Surprise: In the Great Hall, visitors are treated to a whimsical surprise. One wall showcases a portrait of a young Queen Elizabeth II, while on the opposite side, above the fireplace, hangs a portrait of Prince, the legendary musician behind Purple Rain.
7. Ghostly Tales: The 800-foot underground tunnel at Casa Loma is said to be haunted by a mischievous ghost. Visitors have reported strange noises and even experiences of their hair being tugged by unseen entities.
8. Silver Screen Star: Casa Loma’s grand appearance has attracted numerous film and television production crews. It has appeared in notable productions such as X-Men, RoboCop, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, La Femme Nikita, and MasterChef Canada, delighting audiences who have seen it on the silver screen.
Exploring these fascinating facts about Casa Loma adds an extra layer of intrigue to the castle’s rich history.
Casa Loma offers visitors a selection of three distinct restaurants, each providing a unique dining experience:
1. Liberty Caffé: After exploring the castle, visitors can enjoy a snack or a cup of coffee at Liberty Caffé. This charming café serves fresh pastries, specialty coffees, and hot chocolate throughout the morning and afternoon. For lunch, they offer hearty soups, sandwiches, and pasta dishes. Visitors can also enjoy beer and wine options at this café.
2. BlueBlood Steakhouse: Located within Casa Loma, BlueBlood Steakhouse is an acclaimed fine dining restaurant renowned for its exceptional gastronomy. As home to Toronto’s finest steaks, the menu features cuts of the highest quality beef and a selection of fresh seafood. Guests can choose from an extensive array of wines and spirits while immersing themselves in the timeless ambiance of classic architecture, heirloom antiques, and captivating modern art, including works by artists like Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali.
3. Don Alfonso 1890 Toronto: Situated in Casa Loma’s historic conservatory beneath the breathtaking McCausland stained glass ceiling, Don Alfonso 1890 Toronto showcases the distinctive flavors of the Amalfi coast. Founded by Michelin Star chefs Alfonso and Ernesto Iaccarino, this restaurant offers a modern interpretation of Mediterranean cuisine. Diners can indulge in a culinary journey inspired by fresh, high-quality ingredients and innovative culinary techniques.
Whether visitors seek a casual café experience, an elegant steakhouse, or a refined taste of Mediterranean cuisine, Casa Loma’s restaurants cater to a variety of dining preferences, ensuring a memorable culinary adventure within the castle’s grand surroundings.
If Toronto is your next destination and you are looking for a well furnished apartment, ready to move in for short term, look at our Toronto Apartment listings and choose the best one for you. All our apartments are fully furnished, well equipped, utilities included and you can move in anytime. Ernest Alfred will be more than happy to serve you. Feel free to contact me anytime.